2001-02 West Kings High School Hockey Team

There was little to suggest in the fall of 2001 that the upcoming season for boys' hockey at West Kings would be anything other than another winning campaign. By the time all was said and done, a special group of boys had teamed up to produce one of the truly memorable seasons in the history of hockey at the Auburn school.

The Wolverines went undefeated in league play, were victorious in three different tournaments and advanced to the semifinals at provincials before being defeated by a deep and talented Millwood squad that went on to capture the provincial banner.

West Kings traditionally draws its students from Berwick west to the County line. It was not unusual to have a handful of Berwick boys on the school's teams each year, but in this case, the lion's share of the players had played their minor hockey in Berwick. “It was one of those rare times when everything comes together,” recalls team manager Hazen Trueman. “They were a special group of young athletes who also won three straight provincial titles in soccer and one in rugby during their high school years.”

West Kings, with John Verran and Steve Keddy as coaches, Trueman the manager and Jim Brothers as trainer, had it all – strong goaltending, a solid defense and four lines of good two-way players, equally capable of scoring and backchecking.

After winning the Gator Classic at Central Kings, the Wolverines entered the Fred Kelly tournament in Wolfville just after Christmas looking to win for a third straight year. West Kings met Sackville in the final, and Luke Verran's goal at 11:25 of the second overtime gave the Wolverines a 3-2 win. Next was the City of Lakes tournament in Dartmouth. Advancing to the final against Riverview from Cape Breton, the defending champion Wolverines waltzed to a 4-0 victory. A number of parents commented it was “this team's finest game.”

A highlight of the season was a trip to St. John's, NL to play in the 28-team Confederation Cup tournament. West Kings won four of its five games, and came home with a $1,000 scholarship awarded to the most sportsmanlike and competitive team.

The Wolverines went through the regular season in the Valley High School Hockey League with a record of 21 wins and one tie in 22 games. Five players ended up in the top-10 in the league in scoring; the goalies surrendered barely a goal a game. West Kings punched its ticket for Division 1 provincials with 6-0 and 4-1 wins over Yarmouth in a two-game total goal series for the regional title.

At provincials, West Kings met five-time defending champion Kings-Edgehill, which had played in the Capital Region all season, in the quarterfinals. Coach Keddy “calmed the troops” as the game went to overtime, and the Wolverines responded, winning 3-2 on Ben Rose's goal at 14:26 of the second extra session.

In the semifinals, West Kings, with several players suffering from the 'flu, grabbed a three-goal lead over Millwood, only to see the Knights tie the score 5-5 with 4:40 remaining, then net the game-winner 30 seconds later, ending what had been one of the most exciting and successful seasons ever for West Kings.

The Berwick Sports Hall of Fame is pleased to induct, in the team category, the 2001-2002 West Kings Wolverines hockey team.

2001-2002 West Kings Wolverines Hockey:

Kirk Verran, Matt Wright, Luke Verran, Scott McBean, Peter Morse, David Trueman, Ian Morse 'A', Ben Rose 'A', Chris Boylan, Jay Dorey, Ian Currie, James Allen, Ryan Barkhouse 'C', Cody Bower, Ryan Brothers, Ryan Morse, Roddy Easson, Mark Robinson 'A', Kyle Hicks, Steve Arsenault, Jeff Peach, Andrew MacDonald, Chris Meanie, Coach John Verran, Coach Steve Keddy, Manager Hazen Trueman, Trainer Jim Brothers.

Players from Berwick area in bold

Inducted June 2012

Carol Hampsey

Carol Hampsey started curling “too many years ago to remember,” she says – but when pressed, suggests it was probably in 1965 or 1966, at the Berwick Curling Club.

She began her competitive curling career throwing first stones for a team skipped by Betty Adams. “In later years,” she says, “I usually played the mate position, as I didn't really like skipping.” This, she points out, “was left to Elaine Prall or whoever else would have me on their team.”

While the Berwick teams Hampsey was a part of did well in Western Counties and provincial playdowns, many of the Berwick senior curlers didn't have the time she had to devote to the sport. When she got a call from Yvonne Martin of Coldbrook asking her to compete in the Nova Scotia senior championships, Hampsey agreed – and the rest, as they say, is history.

In 2002, Martin, Hampsey, Donna MacKinnon and Allison Weagle teamed up to win the Nova Scotia seniors, and competed at the Canadian championships in St. Thomas, ON. Team Martin, she recalls, “made a fair showing” at nationals – “big stuff for a little old curler from Berwick, NS” – but the truth was, she and Martin were just getting started. Hampsey continued to curl with Martin in competition, while also curling recreationally out of Berwick.

In 2003, Martin, Hampsey, Sandy Walker and Allison Weagle teamed up to win another provincial senior title, and again competed at nationals, this time in Lethbridge, AB. That same year, Martin also entered a team in the provincial Masters (60-and-over) competition, and with Carol Romkey, Hampsey and Donna MacKinnon, captured that championship as well - for Martin and Hampsey, two titles in the same year!

Advancing to nationals in Assiniboine, SK, Hampsey unfortunately fell on the ice during a game and broke her wrist, forcing her to miss the remainder of the competition.

In 2004, Martin, Hampsey, Gwen Merriam and Barb Marsland entered the provincial senior playdowns and won again - Hampsey's third straight provincial senior title. The 2004 nationals were in Kelowna, BC, “and though we didn't win, it was a great privilege to meet curlers from across Canada competing at all these championships.” Martin remembers Hampsey as the ultimate teammate. “She mated for me at many provincial tournaments and at four national championships,” she says. “She was always a 'skip's delight' to have on your team.”

Many curlers, she points out, “tend to blame the broom being in the wrong place when they miss, but Carol was the exception. “As soon as she released her rock, she would yell 'inside' or 'outside' to let the sweepers know whether to sweep or not, even if she was only off by an inch. This is a quality very seldom found in most curlers, and I appreciated it very much. “She also had a deadly takeout, and got us out of plenty of touchy situations.” Hampsey, Martin points out, “was always the same, no matter where we travelled in this wonderful country. Her demeanour never changed, even when she broke her wrist and needed surgery two and a half hours away from where we were curling.”

Today, Hampsey continues to curl recreationally, but not competitively. As she points out, “we all get old far too quickly.”

The Berwick Sports Hall of Fame is pleased to induct, in the Athlete category, Carol Hampsey.

Inducted June 2012

Al Hale

Allison Stanley (Al) Hale was born in Berwick August 5th, 1941, the son of the late Allison and Phyllis Hale, of Cambridge. Brought up in Cambridge, Al spent his younger years playing sports locally with other young boys in this area.

His first foray into organized sports was playing Pony League Baseball in Kentville at the age of 16. His first attempt at organized hockey was to attend the very first hockey school in Canada (held in Kentville in 1959). That same year, Dr. Ron Thorpe, a well-known local Doctor and sports enthusiast, formed a Fastball team in Cambridge called the Tigers. Al became the first baseman on this team.

The Tigers featured local players such as John Durno, Mike Francis, Howie Mintis, Ron Reeves and Lawrence Johnstone, as well as Berwick natives Levi Sherman, Garnie Parker, Manny Lewis and many others. The team played in the Valley Fastball League, against strong teams from Berwick, Greenwood, Cornwallis, and Kentville.

In 1960 the Tigers entered the Provincial Intermediate 'C' playoffs, and eventually captured both the provincial and Maritime titles. A September, 1960 write-up in the Berwick Register, penned by Hall of Famer Stuart Johnstone, reported Al's towering grand slam home run deep to right field that sent the Tigers on their way to victory in the Nova Scotia championships.

In 1964, the Cambridge squad (now playing under the name Red and Whites), again won the Maritime Intermediate 'C' crown after beating a team from Sydney 8-5 and 4-1 to claim the Nova Scotia title.

Joining the Berwick Alpines in 1970, Al was still a formidable force on the field, finishing second in the batting race with a sparkling .378 average.

His former teammates recall Al as a great team player, always with a positive attitude and always helping fellow team­mates whenever he had a chance. Al always hit in the four, or five position, because he was such a great clutch hitter. Dale Lloyd, a former teammate and fellow Cambridge resident, says, “Al Hale is just simply the best clutch hitter I have ever seen!”

Al was also an excellent hockey player. He played for the Coldbrook Aces in the 1960s, on a team that won several Valley League Championships. In later years Al finished his Hockey career in the Berwick Suburban League, winning several league championships there as well.

Al played oldtimers Hockey for the noted Berwick Graves Oldtimers, one of the first real oldtimers teams in Nova Scotia, for almost 10 years.

Al is remembered as a tremendously talented athlete, a quiet but confident leader, and a teammate that inspired the rest of his mates to play their hardest, and compete at their highest level possible.

The Berwick Sports Hall of Fame is pleased to induct, in the athlete category, Al Hale.

Inducted June 2012

Joe Gillis

Clinton Joseph (Joe) Gillis was fun to watch – a fan favorite in every arena he played in. A wry smile, a wink or maybe a little dry wit, combined with raw talent – skill, size, speed and strength. No one played with more spirit and sportsmanship than Joe Gillis.

Almost from the start, Joe showed all the qualities that could have made him a successful professional hockey player. He had the knack of being able to anticipate where the puck was going, and he was so strong and sturdy on his feet, you couldn't get his stick off the ice.

One of Joe's strengths was his ability to instantly break into full speed. A “complete” player with natural scoring talent, he was dangerous on a regular shift and especially killing penalties. Bruce Beattie, Joe's longtime friend and teammate, says “his greatest asset was his capability to give his team a 'lift' – both on and off the ice.” His many multi-goal and multi-assist games resulted in numerous scoring titles. Art Newton, Joe's Junior Coach in 1969, suggested, “he was the best junior hockey player in Nova Scotia at the time.”

Playing for the Valley midget Flyers during the 1967 season, Joe's scoring and playmaking prowess helped his team to the Nova Scotia championship and a berth in the Centennial Cup in Kingston, Ontario, with a number of NHL scouts in attendance. Two years with the Berwick Juniors followed, and Joe continued to be one of his team's top scorers. In one 1969 game, a 15-1 thrashing of Shannon Park, Joe had four goals.

Eventually, Joe was offered a tryout by the NHL's New York Islanders. He attended the Islanders' training camp, and was assigned to Tulsa of the Central Hockey League. A highlight of his training camp experience was facing Islanders' defenseman Denis Potvin, who would end up in the Hockey Hall of Fame. Joe will tell you, “he beat me once, and I beat him once.”

As good a hockey player as he was, Joe was a darned good fastball player, too, playing for a number of teams including the Berwick Eassons and Waterville Mohawks. Those who watched him play, or played with or against him, say he could hit a home run or drop a “perfect bunt” as well as play any position. He was a career .300 hitter, and once, topped .400 for the season playing for Waterville.

His wife's ill health and the responsibilities of a young family forced Joe to end his pursuit of a pro career. All who ever watched him play were certain he had the ability to make it to the highest level, had the circumstances been different.

The Berwick Sports Hall of Fame is pleased to induct, in the Athlete category, Joe Gillis.

Inducted June 2012

Gordon Morse

Gordon Morse, or Gordie as he liked to be called, was born to humble beginnings in Harmony, Nova Scotia. He was a lifelong resident of the Berwick area, many of them living in the town proper. He loved the town of Berwick and the area he grew up in.

While growing up and working hard, Gordie was active in sports, hockey in the winter and baseball in the summer. Although he was an avid baseball player, playing on many teams representing the town at the district and provincial level, he might be best remembered for his prowess as a hockey player.

Gordie, along with many from the town and area, played for the 1947-48 Berwick Cubs. They won the Valley Championship that year and went on to play in the Provincial Intermediate playdowns, eventually losing to Kentville in a total-goal series.

A little later in life, Gordie took up the sport of curling and as well as excelling as a player, he was an integral part of the Berwick Curling Club. Representing Berwick as a player in many bonspiels throughout the province, he was also a noted ice-maker and served on many committees, giving of himself as well sponsoring many teams and events. He truly was a great ambassador for the game, the Club and the Town of Berwick.

Though he was a fine athlete who represented the town of Berwick in multiple sports, Gordie will be best remembered as a builder of sports covering many venues over the years for the town and area.

For many years, he owned and operated a successful business, Gordon Morse Trucking, and he was always quick to listen to proposals and lend his name and financial support to many.

Minor sports at all levels benefited greatly over the years due to his generosity and support. Not only was he quick to offer financial support, Gordie also took a great interest in following the various teams and monitoring how they were doing.

One team of particular note was the Berwick Red Sox ladies' softball team in the mid '80's coached by Hall of Famer Jack Murphy. From humble beginnings, the team continued to get stronger and went on to win three League Championships.

Few have done more as an ambassador for sports, as a builder and athlete for the town of Berwick and area than Gordie Morse. Gordie gave so freely and without fanfare, he truly was a humble man who just wanted to help others - a player, sponsor, mentor, friend and inspiration to generations of athletes of all ages.

The Berwick Sports Hall of Fame is pleased to induct, posthumously, in the Builder category, Gordon Hardy Morse.

Inducted June 2012

Barry Corbin

Barry Corbin has coached, mentored and nurtured young athletes for more than 40 years, enjoying success in a variety of sports at a number of levels.

His coaching career began in 1972 when the Lakeville native, not yet out of his 20s, coached an Aylesford bantam girls' softball team to the western Nova Scotia banner. That same year, he coached a Chisholm's Pharmacy-sponsored women's softball team to the championship of the Berwick/Greenwood & District ladies' league.

Starting in 1974, Barry coached senior girls' soccer, basketball and softball as well as track and field for many years at West Kings District High. Between 1978 and 1986, his West Kings basketball teams compiled a record of 185-66, winning a pair of regional titles and playing in the regional final on three other occasions.

In 1981, his West Kings team was provincial runner-up. In 1982, they won the Alexander Galt tournament in Montreal by beating both the #1 and #2 ranked teams in Quebec.

His West Kings softball teams were twice regional champions and were provincial runners-up in 1977. His soccer teams were district champions in 1975 and again in 1981. Barry coached sprinters, hurdlers and jumpers in track and field at West Kings, winning back-to-back regional team championships in 1975-76. One of his relay teams were NSSAF provincial gold medalists in 1981.

After a number of years at West Kings, Barry moved on to Central Kings, and got to coach those Berwick athletes who attended that school. His coaching successes continued at CK – his girls' basketball teams qualified for provincials twice, his 1986 girls' soccer squad were provincial finalists, and he also coached a number of provincial-level track and field athletes from 1994-96.

Barry's contributions to sport, both locally and provincially, didn't stop at coaching. He was a provincially-certified basketball official for more than 25 years, and was also a provincially-certified soccer, softball and volleyball official. He served as a school track and field coordinator at the district, regional and provincial level, and still volunteers at school track and field meets held locally.

Barry was a coordinator of sport for the NSSAF for more than 20 years, and has been twice recognized by the Federation with outstanding service awards.He runs recreationally and competitively, has been an active member of Run Nova Scotia for more than 20 years and has been running road races since 1980.

He served as race director for the Berwick Gala Days 5-Mile race, and was instrumental in getting that event added to the Run Nova Scotia schedule.

Barry coached nearly 600 games of girls' basketball at both the junior and senior levels over a span of 30 years, and 13 of his former players have gone on to play at the university or college level following high school.

Barry has also served as a mentor to young athletes, several of whom have gone on to careers as coaches, officials and administrators. As a member of the Berwick Town Council, he is still involved in sport and recreation, serving as chair of the Berwick and District Recreation Commission.

The Berwick Sports Hall of Fame is pleased to induct, in the builder category, Barry Corbin.

Inducted June 2012

1966-1967 Berwick Shell Juniors

A decade after the 1956-1957 Berwick Apple Kings were crowned provincial and Maritime Junior champions, a Berwick Junior team once again rose to provincial prominence.

Much had changed in 10 years: the Apple Kings' era had ended, but a new era had emerged, spawned by the introduction of artificial ice.

Don Stewart, with the sponsorship of Sawlor Fuels, started a junior program. Stewart was also instrumental in the formation of the Metro-Valley Junior 'B' Hockey League, but Berwick opted not to join the league.

Dubbed the Shell Juniors, the team consisted primarily of local boys, with the addition of a few players from a bit further afield. Among those eager to play were Mike and Phil Kinsman, Rod Dorey, Bruce Redden, Barry Ling, Charlie Reeves, Dwight Bishop, Dale Lloyd, Richard Palmer and Bobby Wilson.

A few more talented players were needed to bolster their lineup, so Jim Cochrane, Brian 'Smiley' MacPherson, Carl Parks and Steve Rayworth came from Kentville, Gary Darling from Greenwood and goaltender Brian Murray from Centreville-Canning.

The group jelled instantly, and along with head coach Laurie Jordan of Kentville and assistant Gary Whittier of Berwick, they were ready for the season.

The Shell Juniors were a hit with the fans from the start, filling the Berwick Arena every Saturday night playing against other junior teams, some senior teams and Universite Sainte-Anne.

The juniors had a solid nucleus of performers, and called on local midget players to fill out the lineup when required. According to the Berwick Register, the squad “played an exciting brand of hockey, combining fast skating, lots of goals and a rough-and-tumble style of play.”

Berwick fans were treated to many entertaining matches, including an 8-2 win over Windsor Royals, 8-6 over South Shore All-Stars, 11-1 over the Wolfville Colonials Intermediate 'B' team, and 8-4 over the Halifax Colonels, the 'B' team of the Halifax Junior 'A' Canadiens.

As an independent team, Berwick had the opportunity to meet the winner of the newly-formed Metro-Valley Junior 'B' league for the Nova Scotia championship.

The series was finally set to begin Mar. 18-19 in Berwick and continue Mar. 22-23 at the Halifax Forum. The opposition would be the Halifax Colonels, who had the advantage of moving players up and down from the Junior 'A' ranks and were installed as heavy favorites.

In front of a record crowd at the Berwick Arena, the local boys sent game one into overtime with a goal midway through the third period, but Halifax scored six minutes into extra time to win 8-7. Game two was just as close, but Halifax was able to build a 4-2 lead and hold on for a 4-3 victory.

The series shifted to Halifax, and in what Jack Conrad of the Chronicle-Herald described as “a penalty-studded game” that the officials “had a busy time controlling,” Berwick jumped out to a lead in the second period and skated to a 7-4 win.

Game four, again at the Forum, was an ugly contest. Not only did Halifax win 9-2, Berwick's top scorer Rod Dorey suffered a nasty cut to the arm that required 38 stitches, sidelining him for the rest of the series.

Game five was a must-win for the locals at the Berwick Arena, and they did not disappoint their many fans, playing “brilliantly” in a 5-3 victory. With their back to the wall, they returned to Halifax for game six. After a seesaw first period, the game was tied 3-3. Halifax then scored three goals in three minutes in the second period and held on for a 6-3 win and the provincial title.

Despite really being a 'David and Goliath' match-up , it turned out to be an entertaining series that many observers felt might have been even closer had Berwick's big man Rod Dorey not been injured. The following year, Berwick joined the Metro-Valley league and continued to ice a competitive team.

The Berwick Sports Hall of Fame is pleased to induct, in the team category, the Berwick Shell Juniors, worthy provincial runners-up in an outstanding 1966-1967 season.

Berwick Shell Juniors 1966-1967

Mike Kinsman
Phil Kinsman
Rod Dorey
Bruce Redden
Barry Ling
Charlie Reeves
Dwight Bishop
Dale Lloyd
Richard Palmer
Bobby Wilson
Brian Murray
Jim Cochrane
Brian MacPherson
Karl Parks
Steve Rayworth
Gary Darling

Head Coach: Laurie Jordan
Assistant Coach: Gary Whittier

Inducted June 2011

1979-1980 Berwick Lions Juveniles

The Berwick Lions juveniles were a team brought together in the spring of 1980 to compete for the regional and provincial Juvenile 'C' titles.

The players, mainly from the Berwick area, had played together at one time or another over the years, but this season, they would all play as one unit.

That 1980 season consisted of playing exhibition games as no juvenile league existed in the province at the time. The Lions won the bulk of those games, looking to peak at the provincial Juvenile 'C' playoffs.

Coach John Charest recalls that Berwick had to beat Cornwallis, the Mid-Valley juveniles who played out of Lawrencetown, and West Pubnico in order to qualify for provincials.

After eliminating the first two opponents, Berwick took on West Pubnico in a best-of-three regional final. The third and deciding game was played Mar. 22, 1980 in front of a large crowd at the Berwick Arena.

The game went to overtime and was decided in Berwick's favour by a 6-5 score when Larry Morse found the net on a perfect drop pass from Dale Spicer. Craig Prall was outstanding in the Lions' net.

Berwick's next stop was Church Point, site of the Nova Scotia Juvenile 'C' championship. Despite their success to that point, the banged-up Lions looked to be far from favorites to win.

Charest recalls, “out of 13 players, one had a bruised ankle, several had upper bodies and arms that looked like tic-tac-toe boards that were bruised from hockey sticks, two suffered from Charley horses, one had badly bruised feet and one was hurt prior to the tournament and couldn't shoot the puck.”

The Lions started well, winning their opening game 5-4 in overtime over the host Clare Zeniths. Larry Morse netted the hat trick, including the overtime winner, and Dale Spicer added a pair of goals. The Saturday evening game, however, was a “disaster.” The Cape Breton Islanders from Sydney scored nine times, with Jim Kennie managing the lone Berwick marker.

The Lions entered their final round robin game Sunday morning against Sackville Acadiens looking to bounce back, and did so with a memorable performance that unfortunately ended in a 7-5 defeat.

Berwick “fought hard,” but ended up falling just short against a Sackville team that would end up winning the tournament and the provincial title.

Larry Morse again had two goals, and with Sackville up 6-5 and time running out, rang what would have been the tying goal off the post. Sackville scored the final goal in a 7-5 victory into an empty net.

All in all, it was a game effort by the Berwick boys, as reported in the Berwick Register which was all over the provincial tournament being played just a few hours' drive away in Digby County. “Had there been an award for the team with the most heart and guts,” it said, “Berwick had no competition for that one.”

Charest recalls the Lions, led by their captain Craig Newton, as “a great bunch of kids to coach, the easiest team I've had to coach in all the years I coached. They were all friends who got along very well,” and despite maybe not having the overall talent of some other teams, “they were a team to be reckoned with.”

Larry Morse, who had five goals at provincials and made the tournament all-star team, was an offensive-minded player who “was always one of the best players in the province,” and who would go on to set a record for assists in a season in the Nova Scotia Senior Hockey League.

The Berwick Sports Hall of Fame is pleased to induct, in the Team category, the 1979-1980 Berwick Lions Juveniles, truly a 'little team that could'.

1979-1980 Berwick Lions Juveniles

Kevin Ogilvie
Jim Kennie
Robert Hiltz
Gregg Saunders
John Jones
Larry Morse
Matt Hardy
Tony Hooch-Antink
Craig Newton
Craig Prall
Wade Morton
Dale Spicer
Kevin Nelson

Coaches: John Charest, Stewart Spicer
Manager: Art Newton

Inducted June 2011

Robert Clark

In the late 1950s, there were few if any athletes in Kings County to rival Berwick's Robert Norman Clark, who excelled in track and field and was equally successful in both jumping and throwing events.

Robert's earliest memories of track and field are of a meet in 1950 held behind the old Berwick school, organized by Principal C.G. Sutherland and Vice-Principal Ian Robb. Some of the local competitors included Eddie Nichols, Paul Ward, Don Weir, Donnie Hall and Darrell Corbett.

Robert first became involved in track and field competition in the spring of 1953, while a student at Central Kings Rural High School. He competed in interscholastic meets in discus, shot put and javelin, and also counted the high jump, broad (long) jump and triple jump as part of his repertoire. Proper preparation was always a key to his success. “I trained hard during the summer, around my work program on the farm,” he says. “I trained alone, and I always wished I had someone to push me.”

Among the individuals Robert credits for helping him to excel in his athletic endeavours were Burton Bowlby, his first coach at Central Kings, Al Peppard of Middleton and Wally Barteaux of Kentville.

Robert's real heyday as an elite track and field athlete spanned the years 1956-1960. He competed at meets in Bridgetown, Halifax, Truro, Amherst, Antigonish and Summerside as well as at the Acadia Relays, a top-level annual meet held in Wolfville in which both high school and university athletes competed.

In 1956, he merited a Physical Education award for his prowess in basketball, volleyball and track and field at Central Kings. He won the discus and high jump at the Acadia Relays in 1956, and was the Maritime champion in the high jump, broad jump and discus in 1957.

Robert recalls the Highland Games in Antigonish as “the meet where I first began reaching a peak in my throwing. Sandy Patterson had been coming to Antigonish from Boston every year to win the discus, but I spoiled his fun.” In 1956, Robert earned trophies at both the Highland Games (where he competed with the Navy team from Cornwallis) and the Maritime Championship held during the Summerside Lobster Carnival.

During those years, the Royal Canadian Legion sponsored a training program known as the Canadian Olympic Training Plan. Robert was a member of the COTP team for two successive years, training at the University of Toronto and having the opportunity to train under the best coaches in Canada.

Robert and Peter Simmonds, a student-athlete at Queen Elizabeth High School in Halifax who would go on to star in basketball and track and field at Acadia, topped the list in physical fitness testing by a Military Training Team.

Robert competed for a berth on the Canadian Olympic track and field team, and while he fell short of his goal of qualifying, he competed with and against many athletes who did make it to the Olympics.

After graduating from high school, Robert attended the Nova Scotia Agricultural College from 1957-1959, then moved on to the University of Guelph to study for a degree in Poultry Science.

At Guelph, he was a member of the school's track and field team. Competing in Ontario/Quebec intercollegiate meets, he captured both gold and silver medals. In 1961, his final year of competition at the university level, he placed first in the discus at the Ontario Intercollegiate meet.

Robert originally intended to enter the Air Force, but his father convinced him to return to the farm. His fascination with flying led to flight training at Greenwood, and eventually to his own pilot's license. He has been flying for more than 50 years; he and his wife Ruth once flew across Canada in a vintage biplane.

The Berwick Sports Hall of Fame is pleased to induct, in the athlete category, Robert Norman Clark, one of the finest athletes of his generation and a credit to the area in which he grew up and still resides.

Inducted June 2011