Winter Conditions & Winter Parking Ban
Winter Parking Ban in effect Dec 1 – April 15th.
This Ban states that parking is not allowed on a highway or street in the Town of Berwick between the hours of 1:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m. to allow for safe and easy snow clearing.
Regulations made by the Traffic Authority for
The Town of Berwick Pursuant to Section 202(2)
of the Motor Vehicle Act, R.S.N.S., 1989
WHEREAS due to the congestion of the streets and highways in the Town of Berwick, County of Kings, caused by vehicular and pedestrian traffic and the limitations caused by the presence of snow and ice thereon, I am of the opinion that special conditions exist and I do so declare.
THEREFORE under the authority of Section 202(2) of the Motor Vehicle Act, as Traffic Authority for the Town of Berwick, I make the following temporary regulations:
1. These Regulations may be cited as the Winter Parking Regulations, for and in the Town of Berwick.
2. (1) Notwithstanding that certain traffic signs have been erected in the Town of Berwick, prohibiting or permitting the parking or leaving standing of vehicles upon sections of the highway during the hours stated thereon,
(a) no person shall park a motor vehicle upon any highway or street in the Town of Berwick between the hours of 1:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m.
(b) at any other time, no person shall park a motor vehicle upon any highway or street in the Town of Berwick in such a manner as to hinder, inconvenience or prevent proper removal of snow or ice from such highway or street;
(c) during the period from one hour after any snow storm has commenced to two hours after the storm has stopped, no person shall park a motor vehicle upon any highway or street of the Town of Berwick.
(2) The provisions of Subsection (1) shall not apply to:
(a) the motor vehicle of a physician or surgeon parked reasonably near his or her office or residence
and immediately available for professional calls;
(b) motor vehicles parked by a physician or surgeon who is actually engaged in his or her
professional occupation and reasonably near where he or she is so engaged;
(c) motor vehicles parked by an operator who is actually engaged in discharging their duties as a Police Constable for a Municipal, Provincial or Federal police force and includes Canadian Armed Forces;
(d) motor vehicles parked by an operator who is actually engaged in discharging their duties as a member of a Fire Department;
(e) commercial vehicles parked by an operator for the purpose of loading or unloading merchandise.
3. The owner or person having control or custody of a motor vehicle which has been parked contrary to these regulations shall not leave it parked upon any highway or street in the Town of Berwick.
4. It shall be an offence for any person to fail to comply with these Regulations and such person shall be liable to a penalty as provided by Section 292 of the Motor Vehicle Act.
5. These Regulations shall be in full force and effect from the 1st day of December, A.D., 2020 up to and including the 15th day of April, A.D., 2021
Mike Payne, CAO
Traffic Authority for the Town of Berwick